Mounting Siemens Phone on Linux

Sorry for the lack of updates for a while, I’ve been busy and haven’t really had any time on my computer.

This morning my new data cable for my mobile phone, a Siemens AX72, arrived in the post, I brought this one from This will be the third cable I have to get my phone to connect to my computer.
The other two cables didn’t work, the first was from a google search and was a serial cable. The second cable came from amazon and was USB, but this one didn’t work either!

I plugged the cable into my USB hub and the green light lit up, which was more than the last cable did, I checked dmesg and I’ve got some communication going on

[code]usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using address 3
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbserial
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for PL-2303
pl2303 1-1.1:1.0: PL-2303 converter detected
usb 1-1.1: PL-2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver pl2303
drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver v0.10[/code]

Yes, now I just have to mount the phone!

The Siemens website has changed, and I can’t find there Mobile phone manager for Linux that I’m sure I have downloaded.

After googling around all morning I’ve found several good looking pieces of software.

The first site I came across was TuxMobil, it had a link to SieFS, I managed to install Fuse with no problems, but when it came to installing SieFS I had problems:

[code]# make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/anthony/downloads/siefs-0.5′
Making all in siefs
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/anthony/downloads/siefs-0.5/siefs’
gcc -I/usr/local/include -DFUSEINST=””/usr/local”” -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DFUSE_USE_VERSION=22 -L/lib -o siefs siefs.o obex.o transport.o comm.o crcmodel.o charset.o /usr/local/lib/libfuse.a -lpthread
/usr/local/lib/libfuse.a(fuse.o)(.text+0x1392): In function `curr_time’:
/home/anthony/downloads/fuse-2.6.3/lib/fuse.c:738: undefined reference to `clock_gettime’
/usr/local/lib/libfuse.a(fuse.o)(.text+0x13e0):/home/anthony/downloads/fuse-2.6.3/lib/fuse.c:741: undefined reference to `clock_gettime’
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [siefs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/anthony/downloads/siefs-0.5/siefs’
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/anthony/downloads/siefs-0.5′
make: *** [all] Error 2[/code]

Damn! Back to Google!

Wammu looks promising!

I installed Gammu as a shared library as required by python-gammu, no problem!

[code]# python build
running build
running build_ext
Package gammu not found, adding /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig to pkg-config search path
ERROR: Package gammu is too old!
You need version 1.9.20, but 1.9.19 is installed

You need installed gammu as shared library and enable pkg-config to find it.

This is done by invoking make installshared in gammu sources.[/code]

Right, okay, the latest version of gammu that I could find was 1.9.19, so I downloaded version 0.18 of python-gammu

[code]# python build
running build
running build_ext
Package gammu not found, adding /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig to pkg-config search path
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)[/code]

Okay, now my python installation is the problem! The only problem is that I can’t remember how I installed python, was is from source, RPM, or Rpmdrake (RPM package management software for Mandrake).
Edit: It was from Rpmdrake!

Ive got Gammu installed, Wammu is just the GUI, so I’ll just reinstall Gammu then use it from the command line!

If anyone can help me with this, or if you have any other recommendations for other pieces of software, comments are open!

I’ll post again tomorrow about what has happened, and if Moto4Lin will work, as I installed that last year for my sisters phone.

Linux Rulez…

Cool, its boxing day, and I have managed to make a Christmas present work on Linux with no frustration, and I have setup two other things that I have been putting off for a while.

First to the Christmas present, its a USB 2 8 in 1 card reader/writer with a slot for SD cards, just what I wanted!
Reading the pdf manual on the CD tells me that on Mac OS 10.3 and higher just needs plugging in. One deep breath and its plugged in, check dmesg and it has been recognised.
Plug in the SD card, its put in upside-down (weird!) and a new icon appears on my desktop.
It has been automatically mounted under /mnt/removable
All my files are there. Whoohoo 🙂

The second success is finally getting DVD playback.
I was Stumbling around the web when I came across I’ve already got the player installed, it just didn’t want to play DVDs!
A quick google for libdvdcss, a download of the rpm and its installed
I have now watched the first five minutes of both “The Italian Job” (original) and “Johnny English”

The third and final success is the installation of the Belkin bluetooth adapter that I brought when I brought my PDA, 3 years ago!
I plugged it in, the little blue light stared to flash, and I downloaded BlueZ and managed to scan and make a short, but successful connaction with my PDA.
I also managed to find the computer with the PDA

All that and I still managed to cook dinner!